An individual who aspires to join the biotech industry in India must satisfy some basic requisites
which would lay the foundation for acquiring further knowledge in the field and enable one to pursue
a successful career. A student must have science subjects at his plus 2 level, meaning physics,
chemistry, biology and mathematics to be able to qualify for B Tech. at the graduate level and can
later pursue it further with M Tech. as well. Selection for a B Tech. course is dependent on a 10 + 2
score as well as entrance exams and one’s college is assigned as per the ranking achieved in the JEE.
Some of the leading biotech colleges in India could be classified as being public or private and the
top 5 colleges of each category are discussed as follows:
Public Sector Colleges:
Private Colleges for Biotechnology:
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, School of Biotechnology, New Delhi: Being one of the first six colleges
to offer a course in this field in as early as 1985, its objective has been to cultivate a pool of trained
professionals to meet the growing demands of the country.
- Rajiv Gandhi Center of Biotechnology, Trivandrum, Kerala: Having commenced its operations in 1990, this
institute is considered as being one of the comprehensive biotechnology centers ion the country.
- Institute of Chemical Training, Mumbai, Maharashtra: It is one of the oldest as well as outstanding
branches of the University of Mumbai which was established on 4th August, 1934. Its dedication towards
the field of biotechnology is evident from the lush green spacious campus which comprises of classrooms,
laboratories and hostel facilities for students.
- Banaras Hindu University, School of Biotechnology, Varanasi, UP: The University Science Instrumentation
Center was established by UGC, New Delhi in 1980 and has been funded by the same organization as well.
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprasta University, New Delhi: The University holds a common entrance exam every
year and the students who qualify are inducted into the various courses, biotechnology being one of them.
- SRM University, Department of Biotechnology, Chennai: It offers a 3-year under-graduate course and 2-year
post-graduate course in the subject during emphasis is laid not only on the main subjects but on computer
applications as well.
- PES Institute of Technology, Bangalore: An acronym for People Education Society, it was established in
1972 and since then has been dedicated to the dissemination of quality education on various fronts including
- Shri M&N Virani Science College Rajkot, Gujrat: This acclaimed institution has been offering under-graduate
education in biotechnology since June, 1999, and is the only college in the particular state to be awarded UGC
- Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Solan, HP: Established in 2002, this college has been offering
BTech. And MTech. Courses in the field and boasts of six specialized laboratories to serve the purpose.
- Amity Institute of Biotechnology, Noida, UP: Operating since August, 2001, it offers a wide range of courses
through its unparalleled infrastructure and provides its students with international exposure through strategic
collaboration with noted European Universities.